On this week’s Kidlit Distancing Social, Emma Dryden, founder of drydenbks, freelance editor and former Publisher of Atheneum Books for Young Readers and Margaret K. McElderry Books, helps us navigate the new publishing landscape, and shares her tips for staying abreast of – and thriving through – the changes.
Laura also checks in with an update about the impact of the current situation on the publishing world, and we celebrate the successes of three Children’s Book Insider subscribers. And our poll question this week: Who’s Your Favorite Animal Kidlit Sidekick?
Next week: Author, screenwriter and sensitivity reader Patrice Williams Marks on how all writers can respectfully and constructively become part of a new global discussion on fairness, equality and justice for all.
- PW Covid-19 Impact Listing: bit.ly/pwcovid19impactlisting
- SCBWI’s Black Lives Matter Organizations & Resources: https://www.scbwi.org/black-lives-matter-resources/
- KidLit411 – The Weekly 411 Newsletter – (June 5 issue): bit.ly/kidlit411june5
- CCBC’s “Publishing Statistics on Children’s/YA Books about People of Color and First/Native Nations and by People of Color and First/Native Nations Authors and Illustrators” (last updated in November 2019): https://ccbc.education.wisc.edu/books/pcstats.asp
- Lee & Low 2019 Diversity Baseline Survey Results: bit.ly/leeandlowdiversitysurvey
Children’s Book Insider links:
Writing Blueprints (Use code JOYFUL to save 20% on everything) https://writingblueprints.com/p/the-blueprint-solution
Children’s Book Insider video tour & $5/month offer: https://writeforkids.org/cbi
Emma’s Writing Blueprints Workshop: How to Grab & Hold the Attention of Editors and Agents – LINK INCLUDES 20% DISCOUNT BUILT IN: https://writingblueprints.com/p/how-to-grab-the-attention-of-an-agent-or-editor/?coupon_code=JOYFUL
Here’s how to catch the previous episodes:
Tags: black lives matter, covid, emma dryden, kidlit distancing social, publishing